Monday, October 13, 2008

Z-score calculations

I am having trouble setting up SPSS to calculate the z-scores for the specific rolls. I can do all this manually but would prefer to do it the "easy" way. What i have done so far is calculate the means for die1, die2, and the total for each of the 6 rolls. With this done, which variables do i choose when creating the z-scores? Am I at least on the right track? If not, what direction should i take? I know where i want to go but am not sure how to get there. A little help please :-)

4 comments:

Mari said...

Actually, you are doing it the hard way.

Note that you will HAVE to compute one of these by hand, but the descriptives command is the easy way to get the other values. (You will want to play around with descriptives to find exactly how to get the computer to do this for you.)

Mari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mari said...

I've never had this much trouble with blogger posting things at the wrong time, making me type them twice, etc. Not to mention with not saying exactly what I meant to say in the way I meant to say it. Grr.

What I said was,

One easy way to check to make sure that you are using the right variable is to calculate a few by hand and compare your obtained values to those that SPSS calculates for you.

In this way you should be able to figure out which are the right ones for the right rows. In each instance, you are interested in only one of the variables that SPSS creates for you.